Thursday, November 10, 2005

It's the Only Thing That There's Just Too Little Of

My eyes flew open early this morning, as the sun wasn't shining through my bedroom window, and I felt something funny in my chest. Not like a facehugger or anything, it was more along the lines of good old fashioned happiness. It was like there was a Chesty Balloon of Exuberance living near my heart, and when that happens, you don't ask any questions, you just go with the flow.

I felt like writing a love letter.

My fingers flew across the keyboard as though possessed by Cupid himself. Soon, I felt that I needed to take a break or else the love would take me over and I would turn into some sort of Love Vortex and take out the whole neighborhood, love style. I saved the letter and made the fatal mistake of taking inventory in the old Drafts folder of my Inbox. My eyes fell on an old love letter I had sent recently, which I opened.

I soon found my Chesty Balloon deflating. My face was twisting in agony over my mushy metaphors, cheeseball anecdotes, and overall poor representation of how I feel. I couldn't figure it out. I've written a lot of things in my lifetime that warranted a positive response from readers. I've gotten As on papers in school. I read real books and not just Star Magazine. I frequently employ the use of my "Word a Day" desk calendar. So what the hell is going on? Why can't I write a love letter that I can be proud of?

It also made me kind of sad for my boyfriend. He is super smart and well-read. He has a true gift for conveying his thoughts in a way that leaves you warm and fuzzy with a hint of admiration to add some tang to it. And here I am, making him sit at his computer during work hours and read this drivel, this deplorable muck.

I've had this problem forever. I guess my feelings get so strong that an important, word-knowing part of my brain shuts down to acknowledge the feelings instead of allowing me to write down smart adjectives. Yet I still insist on writing through the haze, and what I end up with is a face creased with smile lines and a paper full of static and beeps.

Love turns me into one of those goddamned bushmen that click to communicate. Only less eloquent.

There's no solution. If I've got a handle on my feelings, then I can make it sound pretty. But if it's coming straight from the Ticker in all it's emotion-rific glory, then it ends up a little ridiculous. I am going to keep writing, though, in the hopes that one day I will write something that I can be proud of. I guess the important part is that I'm writing them in the first place. Right?

love, grae

2 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't print them out, but I do bring them up in FireFox and then rub my dong against my iMac screen.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger HellCat said...

The usage of the words "nude" and "dong" earn you two the Best Comments of the Week Award. Look for your prize in the mail! That is, if I can get a syphilitic water buffalo wearing nipple clamps in a USPS Express Envelope. Otherwise you'll have to fight over a Coke can with coffee grounds and a cigar butt in it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter