Thursday, April 28, 2005

A Beautiful Thing

My Young Storyteller's session today at McKinley Elementary had just ended. I was hurrying out of the school, eager to make a phone call. As I rounded the corner and headed towards the front doors, I saw an older woman and a small girl exiting the building. I half smiled, because the woman had her hand on the little girl's head and was talking quietly to her. She was wearing a gorgeous orange dashiki and had wire-rimmed glasses on, and the little girl obviously adored her.

The woman was in the process of shutting the door behind her. I called out to her, "Excuse me! I'm headed out, too. Let me sneak through here with you." she laughed this warm laugh and said, "Oh my goodness! I almost shut you in here! I'm sorry about that!" and I laughed and responded "No problem. Have a great day."

I left them behind and walked briskly to my car. I plugged the cell phone charger in and was getting ready to dial the numbers when I saw the little girl barreling towards my passenger side door. I immediately thought something was wrong, so I turned the key in the ignition and rolled the window down as fast as I could.

This little girl had two cute ponytails and the biggest eyes I have ever seen on a child. She was kind of panting from all the exertion and she finally managed to say, "This is for you." She handed me a beautiful flower that she had picked off one of the nearby bushes.

I looked at her, totally amazed. "Thank you so much!" I managed to say. "This is the most beautiful flower I have ever seen."

This adorable little one said, "You're welcome" like she did this everyday.

"That is so sweet of you. Have a wonderful day!" I said.

"Thanks." and she turned and walked back towards the older woman standing on the sidewalk. I poked my head out of the window and waved at the woman, and she waved back.

Funny how one of the most beautiful things that I've ever been a part of happened in South Central LA. Beauty is everywhere, my darlings.

smile. g

2 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Hollywood Phony said...

that sounds made up

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grae made this up so that we'll all think she likes black people.

Ha ha! Accusing others of racism is funny. It's also funny when you double-space and then type an ironic comment about it. And then type another comment about the comment.

This could go on for a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter