Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Dessert Creativity

I have not been eating any kind of refined sugars. I have been known to occasionally dip into the old Raisinette box, or have a bite of french toast, but for the most part, the white devil ain't in my bloodstream. Recently, however, I have been taunted by a dessert. I can't get it out of my head.

Strawberry Shortcake.

To me, the secret is in the shortcake. Strawberries are wild cards because the seasonal produce aspect really makes their quality swing wildly. Cool Whip, of course, remains unchanged in your local grocer's freezer. My family has a wicked shortcake recipe, and it really makes the stuff work because it's great even on its own. Now, most people don't make the shortcake, they just substitute with some angel food cake or those little pre-formed white cake thingies. Neither is better or worse, they just yield different results. Kind of the reason that you can't compare Independence Day to Citizen Kane, you know?

Anyway, I am thinking about desserts. I am also considering how useful they can be in everyday life. I was thinking that if I threw caution to the wind and made some shortcake, what could I use it for?

-A doorstop for a dollhouse
-A cushion for my precious jewelry
-Eau de Toilette-- one can rub it on oneself for a just-baked, spongy cake smell
-Device for luring ants into your ant farm
-Tripod/monopod/sandbag for those low-angle camera shots
-Company while watching bad films (like Bad Girls from Valley High)
-Crumbs can be used as an excuse to lick someone's torso
-Cushion for tiny people with hemorrhoids
-Edible pillow at a picnic
-Packing materials for fragile boxes

There is a practical reason for me to pull out those unhealthy-ish ingredients and make some magic happen. Think of all the things shortcake and I can accomplish! We can end world hunger for sure, that's an easy one. Together, shortcake and I can stop the war and regenerate the ozone. We can stop global warming easily.

I guess "Drake's Cakes" was really a hidden message meant to inspire me. Off off and AWAY!

easy as pie. g

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter