Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Lighten Up

The past few days have been pretty heavy. I know, my darlings, that you're no stranger to this declaration. As I stepped out of the shower, I remembered that I have the power to take my day in a certain direction. I could be mopey and sad and cry uncontrollably, or I could put on a flirty ensemble and chew some gum in a seductive manner.

So I did both. First came the crying fit. Then came the blue velour skirt and Juicy Fruit. I also moisturized extra well and pretended that I wanted my hair to do what it's doing right now.

I remember when my dad and I would go SCUBA diving in the Gulf of Mexico when I was younger. We would go out on a boat that held about ten other people including crew, and travel to the middle of the gulf to a place called the Flower Gardens. It was always fun, to be out there with my dad.

Sometimes, though, I got seasick. I wouldn't say that I got sick regularly enough to KNOW that I'll get nauseated every time land disappears from my sight, but I do recall a couple of times where things were really nasty. The only thing that helped me feel better was getting in the water and swimming down where the whole suspended-in-air feeling took over.

The last thing I wanted to do was get into a wetsuit, put on heavy gear, and then take a six-foot fall off the side of the boat into the waves. But I knew that once I got in and could descend, I would find peace.

That's sort of what needs to happen right now, I think. I am fighting the inevitable here, and there's only so much time before I am forced to technicolor yawn over the side of the rail and jump in the water.

So, here I go. Loading up the gear, zipping up the suit. No, you won't have to push me. I can get in on my own, thanks.

Thanks. g

1 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find a good vomit usually puts things in perspective. Especially after a large bingeing meal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter