Monday, May 30, 2005

Pillowman

Broadway has changed in my eyes. Before I thought it was only famous people doing famous shows performing famous songs...but now I know better. I heard a strong recommendation for a new show that is a smash hit in London and has gotten tons of Tony noms, etc. And it's a little off the beaten path.

Pillowman stars Billy Crudup and Jeff Goldblum. It is playing at the Booth Theater on 45th, and we ended up with cheap rush tickets. As the curtain rose, I was so excited I was about to jump out of my skin. I was so close I could smell them and see their spit hit the ground in front of me.

I was told that the show was "deeply disturbing." This was correct. Without launching into an entire re-hash of the plot, let me say that the onlsaught of sickness involved mental illness, blood and brains falling out of people's heads, torture, kids being nailed to crosses and getting toes hacked off with butcher knives, lots of yelling, and fires that actors set onstage.

It was fucking awesome.

The performers were amazing, the story was great, and I even laughed amid the chaos. I walked out filled with intense joy. How lucky am I to have seen this show? For such little fundage?

I am headed home today. A short trip, but a rich one nonetheless. I wil be smiling on the plane, thinking of the beauty of this city. Why haven't I moved here yet?

Oh, yeah. I forgot.

I hate bagels.

lox sux. g

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter