Thursday, March 31, 2005

Off Road

I saw Dust to Glory last night. This is a documentary from the same dudes who did the oh-so-gorgeous Step Into Liquid (about surfing). This one is about the Baja 1000 race, where hundreds of motorcycles, trophy trucks, ATVs, and even VW Beetles run a 1000 mile race in the Mexican desert in 32 hours or less.

The trailer for this flick didn't really get me. However, I have fond memories of that arcade game Off Road, which was the only motivating force in me attending the screening. I figured that this time I didn't even have to pay a quarter at the skating rink to participate, though.

When the lights dimmed and the movie started up, I was hooked. This movie has so much testosterone, you get drunk on it--huge, 20,000 horsepower trophy trucks on two wheels, crowds narrowly escaping obliteration from oncoming cars, accidents, hot chicks in tight pants, amazing cinematography, and great sound. These crazy drivers (Robbie Gordon included) have to do part of the race at night, too. I was constantly clapping my hand over my mouth going, "Oh shit! Did you see that?!" and I would have been lynched if it wasn't for everyone else in the theater doing the same thing.

The boys do a great job of introducing you to the drivers and creating drama within the race. Co-director Dana Brown does extensive voice-over which my friend thought was too much--however, I think it detailed everything quite nicely. Otherwise, it's easy for the layman to get lost. I am, after all, a girl. Tee hee!

It's a tiny little indie that is only in limited release right now. So please go support Dana Brown and Co., so they can keep making sweet docs like the aforementioned two. They're doing some great work! So open up your wallets.

cha-ching. g

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter