Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Abre los Ojos

*Subject Line taken from the fine film by your Spanish pal and mine, Senor Amenabar.*

On to the topic...this morning I was at the gas station. It was windy, and I was hungry. I was cranky at the notion of needing gas when I should already be on the highway. I stood by the ole car, willing the gas to pump faster with my arms crossed and brow furrowed.

A tall man with a moustache wearing a NICE suit walked out of the convenience store. I glanced at him and was slightly taken aback by how ready this man was to face the day. He had a bounce in his step and a pleasant demeanor about him. So I smiled. He saw me and he returned my smile.

This tall man was driving a black Lincoln in great condition. He opened the back door and cleaned some trash out of the seat, which led me to believe that he was a driver of some sort. He was whistling and slightly nodding his head to a tune I couldn't hear.

As he backed out and got ready to turn out of the gas station parking lot, he looked at me. Then he blew me a big kiss. I laughed aloud, pleased at the lack of creepiness in the gesture. I caught the kiss and put it in my pocket, still laughing.

He drove away and I was left thinking about these gifts life gives us. I've mentioned this before--if your mind is open and your heart is willing to receive love from other people, you'll find it everywhere. You will find happiness waiting for you around every corner. Strangers will blow you kisses, for crying out loud. This can be a phenomenal world we live in. Even Los Angeles, home of the Depraved, Angry, and Generally Terrifying can turn into the Land of the Warm Fuzzies if you let it.

This morning I was standing at Pump #1 whining about my lack of preparation and late start. I was busy pulling a woe-is-me, and wouldn't you know it, life once again made me wake up. So open your eyes, my darlings, and take a deep breath. Beautiful things will come to you, if you are ready for them.

mwa (that was a kiss). g

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter